burned down my house today. I was steaming sweet potatoes (this was the first... I didn't want to make my house hot by turning on the oven). Anyways, the book I read ("Deceptively Delicious") said it takes 40 to 45 minutes to steam. So I left them while I went to fold the laundry in my room. About 20 minutes later, I walk out of my room and smell something burning. I run to the kitchen and see that the pot is smoking very badly. I run some water into the pot and see that my sweet potatoes are done, but not burnt (Yeah!). However, my Farberware pot is ruined. So if you ever want to steam sweet potatoes make sure you keep a close eye on them. I'm almost positive I put water in the bottom to begin with?? So now my freshly cleaned house smells like fire. Lovely! Oh well, I'm just glad I did not burn down the house. Funny how a hurricane can blow through our area and our house is untouched, but I can leave a pot on the stove for too long and nearly kill us all.
JESUS YOU ARE MIGHTY TO SAVE!!!
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sweet Potatoes are like that- I remember trying to cook them when Andrew was starting solids and it must be something about the sugar content that makes them especially likely to burn easily. Pots are easily replaced- I'm glad everyone's okay!
oh, friend! I'm so sorry! but, I will say that I use that cookbook all the time and LOVE it! Try the chickpea cookies...delicious!
Reba . . . I nearly burned down our first apartment when I left a forgotten pizza box in the oven for several days. The next time I preheated the oven I got a nasty surprise! So glad you guys are okay! PS Walmart sells sweet pot. in a plastic sleeve that are cheap and microwave-able!
Post a Comment