Friday, January 2, 2009

I can't believe Christmas is over...

Truly. I told Carlee last night that we were going to have to take down the tree this weekend. Of course her first response was with the saddest face ever, "but, why?" Oh it does break my heart to end the Christmas season. The memories have been so great this year.

I'll never forget:

  • Carlee saying how "beauuutiful" all the Christmas lights were. She appreciated every one's effort and gazed at every house with such amazement. She also said that she was very impressed. (some big words for a almost four year old) I'm going to miss the lights!
  • Carlee's first response when I woke her up Christmas morning was, "It's time to change the calendar!" (We've been marking the days down since Dec. 1st) Greg and I wish we had that on video.
  • How fast the tree decorating went with four people helping.
  • And how Carlee insisted on helping me take all of the ornaments off today and did it with such care. She still thinks the tree is permanent.
  • Watching Zachary open his gifts with a wide opened mouth looking so surprised. It was priceless.
  • How many times I have cried this season. I love the holidays and spending time with family.
  • How much I loved watching my Miemaw cook her dressing and gravy and trying so hard to remember how she did it. It's so yummy!
  • How quick the Hatton family can clear a table and get things cleaned up. My dad and I are a well oiled machine and we both love to have things picked up and looking back to normal so soon as possible. We even like to throw all trash away after each gift is opened. hahaha...
  • Being able to be my moms hands and feet and realizing how much work goes into preparing our Christmas day meal.
  • My mom and dad's house at Christmas is radiant. Everything is decorated so beautifully.
  • The strawberry cheesecake my Uncle James brought for Christmas dessert. UMMMM good.
  • Having both set of grandparents at my mom's house and all the camera flashes going off when Carlee and Zachary opened their gifts.
  • Watching both sets of parents open up their photo collage we gave them and them loving it.
  • Playing "Ticket To Ride" with Chew, Quint, and Randle four times and Greg winning almost every game.
  • Decorating Jesus' Birthday cake and celebrating His birthday. Listening to Carlee sing Happy Birthday all by herself in her cute little voice the first time through.
  • Appreciating the closeness between me and all my family members especially my mother-in-love (law). We never have to worry about what we say to each other and we are the best of friends.
  • This is one of the first years I did not really care what I got for Christmas and totally appreciated the gift my children are to me.
  • Getting Christmas pictures made and how sweet they turned out.
  • How much candy Zachary had and how he can always smell it on your breath.
  • How much hot chocolate Greg and I have had each night.
  • All the time Greg had taken off and how much I have loved his help.

I will definitely miss it, but I will not miss the headache I have had because of all the business and craziness.

It's a New Year and now we look ahead and thank God for all that He is and all He is going to do. I thank Him in advance for the grace He will poor out on me and my family. I know it's only because of that grace that I can live and be used fully by Him. God Bless you and your family this New Year.

3 comments:

Diana said...

you made me cry....

Lindsay said...

Loved hearing about your Christmas. I laughed when I saw how we both got homemade aprons and our kids got capes. Look forward to seeing you again and getting our kids together!

May said...

I love this post! Good job. I wish there was something like this when our kids were young. I was terrible with those books but some how blogs are easier. There has to be some way to keep all these wonderful blogs on hard copy too.
May