My Paw-Paw went to be with the Lord June 11, 2010. He was 82 year old. My Paw-Paw was a strong man inside and out. He worked hard and spent his time fixing things, serving others, holding babies and giving gifts. My Paw-Paw could not stay still for very long. He lived his life by doing things and his actions spoke louder than his words.
My Paw-Paw gave me my first car (a 1978 Impala). It was like a big boat. He wanted me to be protected and safe. It was humbling to drive such a mammoth of a car, but learning humility at 18 years of age was a good lesson to learn. He gave me independence as well by giving me that car. I traveled to and from school and was never hurt. That car did have a few stoles, a few scratches and bumps, but nothing my PawPaw couldn't fix. He made sure that car was always clean and filled with gas and even got it painted for me. Every time I saw PawPaw, he was giving me another $20 to fill my tank.
When I was younger and would spend the night at their house, Paw-Paw always made sure Rachel and I had a good time by letting us go shopping with Miemaw, filling up the turtle swimming pool to let us swim, or swinging me on the tree swing in their front yard and letting me ride until "the cat died."
When I graduated from high school, Paw-Paw paid for me to go to Hawaii with my Miemaw and cousin Craig (who also graduated). Paw-paw was not a big fan of flying.
I'll never forget the day my Paw-paw called me one morning a year or so after I had been married and he told me how much he liked my husband. I had never talked to my Paw-paw on the phone before and he just went on and on about how much he admired Greg. It was such a blessing to have his approval. Now I realize how much my husband is like my Paw-Paw: slow to speak, slow to become angry, his actions speak louder than his words, he makes sure I am always protected and having a good time..... I have been blessed.
My PawPaw's passing has reminded me of the rich Godly heritage I have been blessed with. I am thankful be live in a line of generations that love God and serve others. May my Paw-Paw's life be carried forth in mine, my children, my children's children and on. May the simple pleasure in life be just that and may the true richness in life be that of our faith in God. Thank you Paw-Paw for never compromising and holding the standard high. You were "A good and faithful servant." I love you and will miss you, but I know you are in a better place- I hope you are riding your sports car on streets of gold and beholding the face of Jesus.
I'll end with the song God gave me to sing at my Paw-Paw's memorial service.
"These words are from my heart. They are spoken out of love.
They reveal the special times hidden in our minds.
They will remind us of our faith and devotion.
These words are the countless gifts passed down to you and me.
These words are the beautiful stories of our lives that give us hope and meaning.
These words our a picture of our years and they can bring us healing."
3 comments:
Such sweet words for you Paw-Paw, I am glad you had such a special one. I loved mine like crazy....he died the year Tommy and I got married, and I spoke at his funeral. We are blessed to have them!
A very touching tribute, Rebekah. Thanks for sharing.
How precious . . . Beautifully written words. What a wonderful man! And he has a wonderful grandchild in you! Rebekah, you capture his generous spirit!
Post a Comment