when I make new recipes these days they end up questionable? Probably because, I have been trying the recipes from "Deceptively Delicious," by Jessica Seinfeld. It's an easy way to hide vegetables in your kids food without them realizing it by pureeing. Well this is my second time to try a dinner recipes and not like it. The only reason I wanted to try this cookbook to begin with is to change things up a bit, not to get my kids to eat healthier. Thank goodness they already eat their veggies with a little motivation from Greg and I. I made the chicken nuggets tonight which have broccoli puree in them and are coated with whole wheat breadcrumbs and flax seed meal. So as I cut into one of the nuggets to see if the chicken is done all the breading starts to fall off and the broccoli is obviously easy to see. Now, isn't the whole idea to hide the broccoli puree?? There goes my $5 flax seed meal- it's the one healthy enhancer. I think because I forgot to salt the chicken before dipping it in the mixture, I screwed the whole thing up. Carlee took one look at her plate and told me she was not going to eat it. I don't blame her and I did not make her. However, Carlee did eat about 6 spears of broccoli for dinner. It's the only thing she ate. Like I said, "I'm not trying this to make my kids eat healthier." Greg kept trying to tell me that everything was good, but I did not agree. Zachary ate it all. I'm just tired of wasting food on things that don't taste good. First it's a lot of effort to go and purchase all the ingredients and then when your kitchen is a complete mess and the dinner is gross one can get a little irritated with the whole process. Oh well.... I think I am about to give up on the dinner recipes besides the Tacos (those are delicious) and I do love the pumpkin oatmeal and the sweet potato pancakes for breakfast, but everything else is a toss up. I'm finding that when I do most of these recipes that my children do like them enough to eat them, but I have not been that excited about them.
Do any of you have some favorites from this cookbook? or are there some I should stay away from?
Please understand I am not trying to complain. I'm just trying to save myself some time and be intentional about the recipes I cook. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on some new recipes. Thanks!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You know, it doesn't sound like a complete failure. I find in most cookbooks I purchase, I usually only end up with a handful of recipes I actually use. Sounds like you found a few. I'm with you on that cookbook though. It is a lot of effort for an "iffy" meal. I borrowed Sherry's and need to give it back!
I've heard the brownies are great. I have the book but haven't used it. I know your frustration though and it goes for any new recipe. I've about given up on anything that isn't a friend referal or I've tasted becaue I too have been tired of wasting time and money. I'm looking for good gluten/dairy free bean recipes if you have any.
so sorry! that is very frustrating. I have stuck with the soups and the chicken skewers that have pineapple puree. the spaghetti is good, too. I have kind of just learned to alter recipes to make them better or with what i have in my house...
Good luck!!! That is why we don't try anything new. I don't like to cook as it is, I am not about to spend my time making something we may or may not like!!! Miss you!
Sherry made us some choc. chips cookies (with some sort of bean, I think inside) from that book . . . They turned out really great! I, too, am so disappointed when I try something new and it doesn't work. Maybe we should do a "Blog Tag" for new, great (relatively simple) recipes. What do you think? Love and miss you! Oh, and Zachary is SO CUTE in the latest pictures!
Hey Rebekah! Good to hear from you. I have thought about you a lot over the years. I am glad to see you are doing good. Your kidos are really cute. Thanks for the prayers. Please keep in touch. melski712@gmail.com
Post a Comment